Milwaukee DUI Defense Attorney


How much alcohol do I have to drink before being at risk for DUI?

There is no simple answer to this question, because it all depends on you. Your height, weight, metabolism, health, and even genetics all play a role in your innate ability to process alcohol. While one martini may barely faze a 250lb man, the same amount could put a 100lb woman well over the legal limit. There is no magic number. The safest course of action is: if you’ve been drinking, no matter how much, don’t drive.

What are police looking for when they pull a person over?

When the police make the decision to pull someone over, it’s usually because they made a move straight out of a list of red-flag actions that police are trained to recognize as a sign of drunk driving. It could be swerving, stopping erratically, straddling lanes, or rolling a stop sign. However, a police officer may also pull a person over for something entirely unrelated to DUI, like a broken tail light. If the officer notices signs of intoxication (like red eyes or slurred speech) after the traffic stop is in progress, he may seek out probable cause to check for drinking from there.

What is the difference between a license suspension and a license revocation?

If you are convicted of driving under the influence, your license may be suspended or revoked. The main difference between the two is the severity of punishment if you violate their terms. Driving on a suspended license is considered a civil charge, meaning you will probably only be fined. By contrast, driving on a revoked license can lead to jail time. In addition, Wisconsin residents are required to have SR-22 high-risk auto insurance in order to have a revoked license reinstated.

My license was suspended/revoked, how can I get it back?

That depends. Within ten days of your initial arrest and suspension, you may be able to file a request for an administrative hearing with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. If you can convincingly plead your case, you may be able to have your license reinstated at least until your criminal case reaches a verdict. If you are found guilty and your license is further suspended as part of your sentence, you may be able to apply for a restricted license (which will allow you to drive for a certain number of hours each day, to get to and from work and other necessary obligations). Otherwise, once the term of your suspension is up, you may have your license reinstated through the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles by providing proof of identity, proof of name and date of birth, proof of U.S. citizenship, and a $200 reinstatement fee. If your license was revoked, you will also need to show proof of SR-22 insurance. For more information, contact your nearest branch of the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles.

Can I represent myself?

It is absolutely your right to represent yourself at trial, but any seasoned professional will tell you that it is a risky proposition. You are going up against prosecutors who have spent years studying law and building up respect within the court system. By representing yourself, you are fighting an uphill battle on many levels. It’s not impossible, but why take such a big risk when an experienced DUI defense lawyer is just a phone call away?